Tuesday, 05 April 2022 from 13:00 – 14:00 SAST/CAT
PLAAS invites you to a webinar titled ‘Power and Inequality in the South African wine value chain’.
The speakers include:
- Stefano Ponte, Professor of International Political Economy, Copenhagen Business School
- Reena Das Nair, Associate Professor, Centre for Competition, Regulation and Economic Development, University of Johannesburg
Global inequalities are growing and have become widely recognized as major challenges to contemporary capitalism. The globalization of production has been a main driver of inequality, yielding new winners and losers within and across nations. Yet, policy and advocacy interventions to tackle inequality have so far operated with limited knowledge of power dynamics in value chains, and indeed have had limited success. In this seminar, Ponte and Das Nair provide some initial reflections on their current research on the South African wine value chain in view of starting to address the following questions:
- How do different combinations of power shape the functioning of the South Africa wine value chain?
- In what circumstances do these combinations yield increasing or decreasing inequalities in the distribution of value added along the chain?
- What policies and strategies can be devised in view of taming existing inequalities?
Tune in on Tuesday, 05 April 2022 at:
13:00 South African Standard Time (SAST)/Central African Time (CAT)
12:00 West African Time (WAT)
11:00 Greenwich Meridian Time (GMT) (Ghana)
14:00 East African Time (EAT) (Tanzania)
Register here: https://bit.ly/3tOGc6S